Saturday, July 3, 2010

My Creative-ness & Craftiness ;)

Motherhood is the best thing that has ever happened to me - no joke.  In a way I feel it has completed the list of things I wanted to accomplish in life, and now all the rest is just icing on the cake!  I LOVE being a mom.  But most of you know that I gave up my career as a Hair Designer for the Stay-at-home-mom position.  I haven't regretted that decision for ONE second!  What I do miss, however, is my creative outlet.  That's why I have picked up sewing (besides just for fundraising) and baking (yes, you can be creative with baking) and scrapbooking and interior decorating (for my own home, of course) and blogging!  In some ways, I think I need these creative outlets to function.  Again, no joke.  (Yet another reason why the lack of funds right now is so daunting.)

Here are just some of the projects I have worked on since Monkey was born...

Roman shades for my kitchen window:

Re-covered piano bench:

New Pillows:

Fancy Birthday Cakes:

Refinished Side Table For Monkey's Room:

Onesies and bibs for baby showers:

Burp cloths for baby showers:

Tag Blankets and Plush Blocks:

And of course you can browse all my boutique items for our fundraiser here: http://bringourangelhome.blogspot.com

My latest projects are creating (for the first time) quilts for both of my kids' rooms, and then just random throw pillows for our new master bedroom!  I have been browsing every single fabric store in the area for something to fit the picture inside my head.  No luck. 

The last fabric store I visited, I brought along some samples of fabrics I liked, some that I wanted to incoorporate, and my inspirational pictures cut out from magazines and printed off the internet.  And yes, even paint swatches.  I would go to the lady behind the counter and say, "I need something to incorporate this type of a pattern, with these two colors, to work with this..."  She walked me around the entire store (little, but crammed full of beautiful fabrics) bouncing ideas around with me.  Finally she told me that she thought I was a little ahead of the trends.  (Say what?!?)  She said she had never even seen a fabric combining those colors before!  She even asked me if I had ever considered designing fabric before?!?  (Well, that got some ideas spinning...I wouldn't even know where to start, but I'm intrigued by the idea!) 

I still haven't found what I'm looking for.  Frustrating...but at the same time, you know you have a unique and creative idea when you can't even find a fabic to work with your idea, right?!? 

Photobucket

1 comment:

Amy said...

Love all your projects :)


Have a happy 4th!
Blessings,
Amy